Sunday, January 15, 2012

Second New Year's resolution

- snow. Or rather taking advantage of what's around in winter time. Turns out that there's lots of snow just a couple of hours away. Why not?
Learning how to ski also sounded like fun, so there I was, in my new bright red jacket, big white gloves and even bigger smile on my face. All in all is was not so bad, and most important - not as cold as I feared. With a bit of luck, the slope gets full sun exposure, and I got a bit of it too. Nice and warm.
Two hours later I learned how to turn and stop - standing or sitting position. My legs were a bit tired, bruised here and there but I think I'll go skiing again.

At home there was a nice soup waiting for us. Green and very warming.



Asparagus & Pesto Soup
serves 2 hungry ppl/ prep time 30min


500 grams of fresh asparagus
1 yellow onion
1 red onion
1 cup of fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup (abt 30 grams) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbl spoons of olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts (slightly roasted)
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
750 ml of veg bouillon


Cut asparagus into about 3 cm pieces - save the tip pieces for decoration
In a big pot, heat olive oil and add finely chopped onions. After a couple minutes add asparagus pieces and continue frying for a few more minutes.
Add bouillon and cook for about 15 min, until asparagus becomes soft.
In a separate frying pan, fry the asparagus tips for a couple minutes.
Prepare pesto - grind basil leaves, cheese, pine nuts, garlic and  olive oil in blender or food processor.
Add onions and apsparagus and continue grinding until pastelike (texture depends on individual likings)
Transfer the pesto/asparagus cream back to the pot with bouillon. Stir and serve!
Decorate the bowls with asparagus tips and pine nuts.

I discovered this soup recipe here, but decided to make it even more pesto like and enriched it accordingly.
And yes, I realize it's been a bit too green here, so promise to prepare something sweet and not so green next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment