and what's cooking today? Something to warm us up, after a beautiful trip from snow wonderland....
An Onion Soup with a Kick and croutons
serves 4 people; prep time: 60min
4 yellow onions
2 red onions
3 garlic cloves
2cm piece of ginger
1 table spoon of butter
1.5 l of veg stock
10dl of white wine
2 table spoons of flour
1 tea spoon of sugar
3 slices of bread
1 garlic clove
1. Cut bread into small cubes, meantime heat olive oil with finely chopped garlic and thyme - add bread cubes and fry until golden on all sides
2. Chop onions and leek. Half of the onions into small pieces and the other half into rings. Sauté in butter in a large pan until golden brown (about 15 min), add a teaspoon of sugar, garlic and finely chopped ginger and let sauté for another 10 min
3. Add a couple of tablespoons of flour, leave for 3 or 4 minutes, then pour in 1.5 liters of boiling veggie stock and 10dl of white wine.
4. Cover with lid and leave simmering (on low heat) for another 30min.
5. Season the soup with salt, pepper and thyme.
6. Serve with previously prepared croutons.
The recipe comes from december issue of a Danish cooking magazine 'Mad' (which means 'food' in Danish, not crazy-mad), I added leek and ginger to make it more warming up and spicy. Thyme adds a slight minty freshness.
Perfect soup for winter evenings. Bon Appétit!